Tasty and Easy Mexican Yellow Rice recipe. Kids love it!

Easy Mexican Yellow Rice with kid friendly option.


I've always made yellow rice. Most people call it Mexican rice. Either way its a family favorite. When my son was younger, he did not like that I added chopped red and green peppers. So my Best friend recommended I add corn. I could still sneak in some veggies and get him to eat it.


Yellow rice pictured with homemade Pico de Gallo!


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons of butter, I prefer unsalted
  • 2 cups of white rice Long grain
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1 packet of Sazon with Coriander and Annatto, I like the Goya brand one. 
  • 1 cup of canned corn- drained
  • Powder Chicken base- to taste. I usually start with whats recommended for 2 cups of rice and work my way up. Because brands vary so much. I will explain later how I decide.

This is the Sazon I use.


Cooking directions:

  • In a Large pot (at least 2 quart size). Place the butter in pot on medium heat.
  •  Once the butter starts to melt add the rice. Stir the rice in the melted butter until it has a slight golden yellow color.
  • Add the water. Be careful the water will bubble up so add it slowly. 
  • Add 1 packet of Sazon. Add chicken base. *I recommend you start with whatever is the recommended for making 6 cups of rice. Brands vary so I personally taste some of the broth*
  • Stir the mixture and bring to a boil.
  • Once its boiling, stir again, lower the heat to a low setting. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  • Check rice. Once its done to your liking mix in corn. Leave on lowest heat for 2 minutes or until the corn is heated up **If you prefer a more traditional rice replace the corn with chopped green and red peppers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smellcome to Manhood: The fun of raising a teenage boy.